Monday, March 24, 2008

a bolter's parent's dream come true

Something happened this weekend that was so great, so exciting, so unfathomable not too long ago, that I had to share...

You see, for most of his life, Calvin's been a "bolter." When he was younger he pegged the needle on the ADHD sliding scale, and staying in one place was not something he could do. When you couple that with an irresistible urge to follow any given impulse with complete gusto and reckless abandon, you get a bolter.

We've chased Calving through shopping malls, grocery stores, parks, doctors offices, Target (on too many occasions), and even a parking lot (only once – but that's because we're paranoid about it!) Over the last couple of years Calvin has gained better control over his body, and he's become more of a wanderer than a bolter, but we are still very aware of our surroundings at all time.



Yesterday Calvin & I went to Home Depot to buy a few things. He drove the cart for me (80% independently), helped me pay for our stuff, and drove the cart out to our car. We opened the back of the van to load our bags, when Calvin casually took a few steps away. There weren't any cars around, so I gave him some leeway, although I was ready to sprint after him. He walked down the driver's side of the van, around the front, and opened the passenger door. He climbed in, sat down, and closed the door behind him! Then he looked back over his other shoulder to see me, and gave me a huge, proud-of-himself, smile. It was awesome – a highlight I'll keep in my "best of" memories for a long time...

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I had to take a moment to really meditate on what it feels like to have moments like these. I have three and two have ADHD while the other was diagnosed with Bipolar/generic developmental disorder. Now, I'm not one for labels, but I can say for sure that my kids are different and not a lot of people understand what it's like knowing your child cannot help what they do sometimes. I literally have to plan my day around what my kids eat and when they sleep. They go off their diet or miss a nap even once and I can forget about doing anything until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete